It has been noted the coming of young European volunteers, driven by an impulse of solidarity who, knowing little of the local reality, will insert themselves in the field framed by an NGO from which they do not always receive sufficient guidance or effective assistance in case they find themselves in a concrete situation of difficulty or risk.
The situation that persists in some islands in the Aegean Sea, particularly Lesbos, Chios, and Samos, due to the existing migratory flux in the Eastern Mediterranean, is being alerted:
- Since the camps where these volunteers will be working are located on the islands or in Northern Greece, apart from the telephone contacts that can be made, consular assistance from Athens has considerable limitations.
- It is highly desirable that volunteers who intend to travel to these regions:
- Learn about the refugee situation in Greece and specifically about the NGO they will be working with and the guidance and assistance they will receive in the field;
Given the occurrence of incidents on Greek territory with the illegal entry and transportation of migrants, it is suggested to all professionals in the transport of goods, especially truck drivers, when traveling to Greece, to ensure that their vehicle is properly locked throughout the journey, as well as to plan the trip in advance by studying the planned route.
It is also suggested that they seek additional information, for their personal protection, from their respective companies and professional associations
Pandemic Situation and Restrictions as of May 2021
In light of the evolving epidemiological situation caused by COVID-19 in Greece, the Greek Government has announced the lifting of the mandatory seven-day quarantine, as of April 19, 2021, for passengers permanently residing in an EU member state, Schengen area, UK. United States of America, United Arab Emirates, Serbia, and Israel provided that they present a negative PCR test performed within 72 hours prior to arrival in Greece or a vaccination certificate in English issued by a public entity and that 14 days have passed since the administration of the vaccination (including, if applicable, the second dose).
All travelers who wish to travel to Greece are still required to fill out the Passenger Location Form (PLF).
Movement of people in Greece during Covid
– Prohibition of movement between districts; of movement of people between 21:00 and 05:00 on weekdays and between 22:00 and 05:00 on weekends;
– Prohibition of gathering/grouping;
– Mandatory use of mask in both indoor/closed spaces and outdoor/open spaces;
– Prohibition to enter public transportation without wearing a mask.
The circulation of people will be allowed after approval of special request only for these reasons:
1- Health (going to the pharmacy, doctor’s appointment, or hospital/clinic);
2 – Supermarket
3 – Public service (with appointment) / bank as long as the user cannot be attended to electronically;
4 – Providing assistance to people;
5 – Social event (wedding, baptism, funeral);
6- Exercising or walking with a pet.